Monday, October 12, 2009

Black Eyed Peas and Cornbread


Finally the dish that this blog is named after! Yum yum YUM!

Beans: I used half a bag of dried black eyed peas. I either let them soak in water over night or I boil a pot of water and let them soak for about 6-8 hours. When you are ready to cook them, add 1 large cube (I use Knorr) of pork bullion. When I have them, I will use some large pork bones with a bit of meat on them. Either way, the beans need some porky pig love. Bring to a boil and cook over med low for 45 min-1 hour.

We prefer to eat the beans over brown rice with some diced raw onion. I put a small pat of butter on, Mark likes Sriracha pepper sauce, and Twig likes his with ketchup. A dash of Tabasco or Texas Pete is also pretty common.

Now for the corn bread...I use a slightly modified recipe from Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook. The original recipe is great as is which I why I include it with my modifications.

As a side note: If I was only able to bring one cookbook with me no matter where I lived, I believe it would be this one!

BHG Cornbread *(my modifications)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar *(I only use 1 tbs sugar)
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt*(I use 1/4 tsp salt)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup milk* (I use 1 cup Buttermilk)
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter
  • Honey (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400F. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

2. Add the 1 tablespoon butter to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, a 9x1 1/2-inch round baking pan, or an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan. Place in the preheated oven about 3 minutes or until butter melts. Remove pan from oven; swirl butter in pan to coat bottom and sides of pan.

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine eggs, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Pour batter into hot skillet or pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cut into wedges or squares. Serve warm. If desired, drizzle with honey. Makes 8 to 10 pieces.

Corn Muffins: Prepare as above, except omit the 1 tablespoon butter. Spoon the batter into 12 greased 2-1/2-inch muffin cups, filling cups two-thirds full. Bake in the preheated oven about 15 minutes or until light brown and a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.




No comments: