Saturday, November 28, 2009

Turkey Day Menu


Today I am making Thanksgiving dinner to share with my Danish family. I am trying out a bunch of new recipes and if they turn out half as good as I think they will I promise to share. Amazingly I have not had to import anything to make dinner. Not even the pumpkin or pecans! Maybe the store imported them....hey but I just had to go down the street.

Grilled Turkey. This will be the 3rd year we have done it this way. Our oven is way too small for a turkey plus everything else and a bowl grill works perfect as an outdoor oven. Oh and I considered myself lucky to find a "large" 10 pounder this year. I usually brine it in a salt and citrus bath overnight and then put white wine, onions and apples inside when she goes on the grill.
Sweet Potato Casserole. This year I am doing a healthier version with pecans instead of marshmallows.
Creamed Corn. I have never made this successfully without using fresh corn. However finding fresh corn in Denmark in November is like asking to win the lottery.
Bread Dressing. I collect odds and ends of bread and put them in the freezer to make this. I make it often throughout the year so it is a tried and true family fav.
Southern Macaroni Pie. Custard style mac and cheese. I have tried to recreate my grandma's but since she does it without measuring I have been winging it and not with the best results. I found a recipe in the Augusta, GA, newspaper I am going to use this year. Forget trying to find this on any of the major recipe sites. They all do the cheese sauce version.
Broccoli Casserole. Try making this without Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup. I dare you! I found what I think will be a winner of a recipe that doesn't call for anything remotely similar. I can't wait to try it.
Pumpkin Cheesecake. I have never made a REAL cheesecake from scratch before. I made it last night and it looks beautiful. Hopefully it will taste even better. It even has fresh pumpkin since there is no such thing as canned pumpkin here.

No comments: