Yum yum yum. This was really well received by the fam and we loved it too!
Recipe from Cooking Light
Regular breadcrumbs can be used in place of the panko. If the broccoli florets are very large, cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and sliced
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375°.
Arrange broccoli in an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
Combine milk, flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cheddar and cream cheeses; stir until smooth. Stir in mayonnaise, onion, and water chestnuts. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over broccoli.
Place panko in a small bowl. Drizzle with butter, and toss. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over cheese mixture. Lightly spray breadcrumb layer with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble and breadcrumbs brown.