Sunday, September 27, 2009

Angel's Work in Progress Grain and Veggie Burger

One day about a month ago I decided to dive in and try and create my own veggie burger recipe. I scoured other recipes online for inspiration and finally came up with a list of ingredients I wanted to include.

This recipe turned out very tasty though I have some improvements I want to try when I make future batches, I think next time I might add some soy or curry powder. Or try using some cooked brown rice. I tried my best to keep track of my measurements but I suggest tasting a bit before you add the egg. The recipe made 20 medium sized patties. I froze the leftovers and I can attest to the fact that they reheat really well. At least heating them on a pan. I also read you can take them straight from the freezer and put them on a hot grill. Haven't tried that one yet though! If anyone tries this recipe please let me know how they turn out or if there were improvements you made.


Angel's Work in Progress Grain and Veggie Burger

1/4 cup green lentils
3/4 cup red lentils
3/4 cup Bulgar
2 carrots, shredded
1 red onion, diced
1 sweet red pepper, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 can crushed or chopped tomatoes, drained
1 can chickpeas, drained and mashed
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 1/2 cups water

Cook the lentils in 3 cups water plus the salt for 30 min or until nice and mushy. Remove from heat and add Bulgar and the other 1/2 cup water to the lentil mixture. Allow to sit for 30 min. The mixture should be very stuff. Add the carrot, celery, tomatoes, and onion. Mash the chickpeas with a fork and then add. Add the bread crumbs and olive oil. Add remainder of the seasoning and taste test to make sure the seasoning is where you want it. Once you are satisfied, add the eggs. The mixture should be firm and easily make patties that will hold together. But not too dry. Use water or breadcrumbs to adjust. Let the mix cool in the fridge for about 20 min. You can either choose to cook them in olive in a pan or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 390F for 20-25 min.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Was just about to write a shopping list to make these but, where do I get the lentils? I want to freeze some before baby gets here!!

Angel said...

Most any of the grocery stores have them. You can usually find them near the rice and the Danish name is linser. Usually they have the red and green variety. The middle eastern stores always have them too.