- 3 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 1/2 pounds round or flank steak
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cold water
Preparation:Heat butter over medium high heat, brown meat, which has been cut into 1/4-inch wide strips. Brown the meat in 2 or 3 batches so that each batch just covers the bottom of the skillet without crowding. Remove meat and set aside. Reduce heat, saute onions for 5 minutes. Return meat to skillet, add remaining ingredients except peppers, cornstarch, soy sauce and water. Add peppers, which have been seeded and cut in 1/2-inch strips, simmer covered for 10 minutes. Blend cornstarch, soy sauce and water in small dish; stir into meat mixture. Cook until thick and clear, about 1 minute.
Pepper steaks serve 6.
*I am making a concerted effort to post more recipes since I got a little nudge from Stephanie the other day.*